Monday, June 4, 2007

ALASKA

Well, we've survived a week here and it's been loads of fun. We flew into Anchorage Sunday night and we stayed in a small city about an hour away called Wasilla. Our adventure started that night when we set our eyes on our new "vehicle" and then locked our keys in the car. On Monday Nate and I went shooting with Nate's friends and their family. Nate did a good job but needs more practice at throwing the clay pigeons. I didn't bring my "A" game that day, but still managed to hit a couple of targets close. On Thursday Nate and I ventured in Anchorage to see the sights. We weren't impressed. So we drove south for about an hour and went on an glacier cruise. It was pretty cool. We even got to see a big chunck fall off and crash into the lake. It was loud and made a big splash. On Friday Nate went fishing with some locals at willow creek and caught 4 trout (supposedly he caught the most and the biggest, thanks Phil for spending time on the lawn to teach him how to fly fish) that night we camped there. It was our first married solo camping trip. It was fun. The rest of the time there was spent hinking and hanging out with Nate's old roommates. On Saturday we made the 3 hr drive to Denali and we're still learning the ropes. Our new "house" is more like a prison cell and make our cracker jack apartment in AZ seem like the Ritz. We went for a hike to Healy Overlook. From there you can see most of Denali National Park. Some of the things that we have learned so far in Alaska are the sun really never sets, they were'nt kidding about that. We also learned that everyone knows where the best place is to catch fish, but never really tell you how to get there. They also tell you that you have to go fishing with "so and so" because they are the best, but never give you their number. The last thing is that every Alaskan has a dog and a cigarette in their hand. But we love it here so far and are looking forward to what lies ahead. Keep in touch. I'm counting on my fellow bloggers to keep my up to date so I dont feel left out.

4 comments:

Nunes Family said...

Looks like you guys had a gret time. I loved all of your pictures.

Peck Family said...

You guys look like your having a blast! We miss you making everyone laugh! Hows the yakisoka?

The Trippy Stevensons said...

Kate,
How exciting. I am so jealous that your are have such an adventure. Phil is on rotation and wont be back for a week but once he is I shall show him Nate's fish. He will be so proud. I went swimming today and thought of you guys. Your not missing much around here...just the 110 degree weather...ugh!

The Frosts said...

LOVE the windblown look :)!

Mt McKinley

Mt McKinley
This is the tallest point in North America. It is 20,300 ft tall. The lake in this pictue is only around 2,000 ft.