Friday, April 22, 2011

Marathon Training

Several years ago, when I ran my 1st Marathon, my sister, Emily, said that she wanted to run one someday. We decided when she is 35 and I'm 3o, we'd run one together. In January, she decided that this was her year to run one (even though she's not 35 yet). She signed up for the Utah Valley Marathon on June 11th. I signed up also, because this was my chance to run with her, like we decided years ago.
For Christmas we purchased a double jogger and I've loved it. I also bought a odometer to put on the stroller to help log my miles. I take the boys out on my daily runs and have logged almost 100 miles with it. Some days it's like this.....

and on those days I just turn up my music (which is actually a book on tape) and keep going.
Other days it's like this....

Usually it's somewhere in the middle.
Luckily Nate has been home on the Saturdays that I've needed to go on my "long runs". I have 2 more long runs, 4 more middle distance runs, and 8 more weeks.
I've listened to (since we moved to WV) Peter Pan, 1984, Treasure Island, Memoirs of a Geisha, Three Musketeers, Half Broke Horse, The Shinning, Peace Like a River, and currently The Hiding Place. I enjoy this more than music. I don't own enough of my favorite music to make a playlist long enough.
My biggest concerns for the marathon are the altitude (From 600ft to 6000ft), the humidity... or lack there of, and not nursing Beau.
But it doesn't matter because I'm going to run it anyway and have a good time with my sister.

4 comments:

The Higgins Family said...

go katie!!!!! what an awesome goal... Good luck!!

Emily A. Gunderson said...

I'm so happy you will be there with me. Way back when my life plan included a baby at 34 so that I could run at 35. Sorry to ruin that perfect plan by getting my family planning all off ;). I'm so glad you're the one running with a newborn and not me. Love you.

Coupon Person said...

Of course that is suppose to say, "then" not "when."

Brett and Nikki said...

Dang, girl! You're amazing! Keep up the great work :)

Mt McKinley

Mt McKinley
This is the tallest point in North America. It is 20,300 ft tall. The lake in this pictue is only around 2,000 ft.